6.30.2011

Transition.

I want to talk about transition. It's an ever-occurring theme of my life right now...graduating from USF, beginning coursework at Harding's Center for Advanced Ministry Training, my job, the search for a new apartment and place to call home, even a new chapter in ministry in CIA Tampa with Randy & Yvonne - it is all transitional. 


More about my new journey through Harding at the CAMT, though. 


In Colossians 3:22-24 we read: 


"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."


I see two things here. First, what we do has to be in sincerity of heart and reverence. The second thing and I see as most important is in verse 23. Work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men; sometimes in life you might agree that it becomes a task-oriented to-do list...even going to school. 


But, I stepped back and said, you know - it's going to cost time, and money and energy & more brainpower that, after 16 years in school - I don't know if I have left! Funny thing is - that's not the purpose of the program; I'm going [back to] school and allowing that experience to mold me for more work in the Lord's Kingdom - to work for Him. All of these variable inputs are nothing compared to the output of a greater mission...even if it means more college. :)


Another thing about sincerity and reverence...flip to 2 Corinthians 2:


15 For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16 To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task? 17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.


You can read this for yourself -- some are saved, and the rest are perishing...to one, we bring an aroma of  death, the other, life.  Think about the transitions in your life today -- are they leading you closer to Him and His purpose?  Which aroma should we be as Christians and, the work that we are doing today -- is it to please men, or to please the Lord?

At the end of it all - for me, I want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant." Do I think I'm going to do so perfectly? Ha, absolutely not! But, if I'm going in the same direction Jesus is, I think I've got a right idea. I am excited to start this new journey - to be able to gain practical ministry skills with Randy & CIA Tampa; I am even more excited about what my future might hold in the way of Campus Ministry and being effective in that mission field - one that changed my life - see My Story for more about that. I also hope to work closely with Lynn Stringfellow & CMU to help change the lives of others as I progress through this process.

Final Thoughts: 
Transition is a part of life - in fact, I think that life is one big series of transitions...but, as I said in my Mission Trip post, someone wise reminded me - Jesus is never transitional; so, stop looking around and start to look up.

No comments:

Post a Comment